Sunday, October 4, 2009

Sauteed Asparagus

A few days ago, my friend Rachel departed for Thailand where she will teach English for awhile (a year? I'm not sure). Before she left, I wanted to cook dinner for her and Courtney. Since I moved back, the three of us have reconnected, having gone to middle and high school together, then separating for college.  I made some of my favorite dishes - New Orleans Shrimp and Nigella's Hearthbread  - but I also sauteed some asparagus, which I accidentally discovered when preparing some for my savory Vols-au-Vents. Simple and delicious, it's another great way to enjoy asparagus.



Sauteed Asparagus
  • 1 bunch of asparagus, bottom 1 inch trimmed off
  • a handful of pearl onions, peeled and cut in half
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 3 tbsp butter
  • salt to taste


In a large saute pan, heat the oil over medium heat.  Toss in the onions and saute for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the butter and let it melt. Add in the asparagus and stir well to coat with butter and oil.  Saute over medium heat for 5-10 minutes, until the asparagus is bright green and tender. Sprinkle generously with salt.

3 comments:

Amy Lucille said...

I made this tonight to go with some Salmon steaks. I used your recipe and right before the Asparagus was done I squeezed some fresh lemon juice over them. Oh and I used white onions instead. It came super yummy.. here is my pic. http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/7348/photousc.jpg

btw this is luci from aion <3

Mama Sarah said...

Mmm salmon. I love it! We actually haven't had it in a while, which is sad.
The lemon juice is a great idea. I have this weird hang up where I rarely use lemon (and never as my own idea) even though I like it, because I hated lemon as a kid. It's silly. I might try the lemon juice next time.
As for the onions, I thought pearl onions would make a great presentation, but I think some might find it too much onion per bite. Not me, I love onion, but others might not share that love.
Most importantly (and of course it's at the end of my ramble) I'm glad you enjoyed the recipe! I hope your cookies turn out to be as pleasing.

Lyfling said...

I hate that you still have good looking asparagus down there. All of ours are pretty pathetic looking up here.