Sunday, October 4, 2009

Cinnamon Sugar Muffins

First, an apology. I suck for not updating Wednesday. I've made many excuses before, and I'm about to make another one. You see, I had a pretty down week. I moved to Louisiana three months ago and applied to many jobs since I came back. I received only 3 calls regarding resumes, and one was from a temp agency wanting me to become a part  of their temp pool while the other two were from interviews I didn't feel went well. Last week, it really hit me how horrible this recession is and how much the world mislead my peers and me as we grew up. A college degree was supposed to guarantee a good job.  But it doesn't, especially not now, when everyone is scrambling for something and a college degree can work against you. It sounds bitter, and I was. I had no motivation to do anything. 

Friday evening found me lying in bed in the dark questioning my self-worth. Pathetic, I know, but three months and scores of unanswered resumes and job applications can do that to you.  So there I was, in bed in the dark, and my phone rang. Turns out I'm not so horribly unmarketable, and someone is willing to hire me. That's right, Mama Sarah is employed. I start work tomorrow morning. I'm thankful, excited, and ready to get some work done.  The hours shouldn't interfere with my cooking/baking nor my Wednesday/Sunday update schedule. Woohoo!! Now on to the food..

My sister's company participates in the Acadiana Heart Walk to raise money for the American Heart Association.  This week, she participated in a bake sale to raise money.  Now my sister is a full-time worker and mother of a 6 month old baby, so needless to say, she doesn't have oodles of spare time. So she asked me if I'd be willing to bake something for her to bring. Heck yes I am! Most of the other people were bringing very desserty things, so my sister thought a breakfasty item would be nice. I decided on lemon poppyseed (which I made a few months ago) and cinnamon sugar muffins. Mmmmm.


Cinnamon Sugar Muffins
(original recipe found at EatingFiend)

Muffins
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 cup plain yogurt
  • 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 4-8 tbsp vegetable oil [I used 6 tbsp and found the  muffins to be a bit dry]
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
Topping
  • 1/2 stick butter, melted
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon


Preheat oven to 400F. Line muffin pan with paper liners.


In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, yogurt, sugar, oil, and vanilla extract.  Slowly add the flour mixture to the wet mixture. Do not overmix.


Fill the muffin cups 2/3 full and bake for 12-15 minutes. As soon as the muffins are done, remove from the pan and place on a wire rack with a paper towel underneath.


Mix together the melted butter, sugar, and cinnamon.  Spoon a small amount over each muffin, then spread it evenly across the top.  If desired, sprinkle additional sugar and cinnamon on the muffins.

 

No comments: