Monday, September 27, 2010

September 2010 Daring Bakers' Challenge : Decorated Sugar Cookies

The September 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Mandy of “What the Fruitcake?!” Mandy challenged everyone to make Decorated Sugar Cookies based on recipes from Peggy Porschen and The Joy of Baking.

 This challenge used a specific technique of icing called flooding.  Basically, you use royal icing of a specific consistency (methinks mine was a tad too thick), outline your icing area, and then fill it in with more icing.  The border keeps the icing from going everywhere.  You can do a lot of neat things (I experimented with my last few cookies, but the photographs didn't come out).  You can blend and meld colors or you can layer different designs.

A fun aspect of this challenge was that you needed to choose a theme that represented September for you.  I originally planned to do something focusing on hubby's birthday (September 8), but all this month I've anxiously anticipated autumn, so  I created the color-changing leaves I miss from Iowa.  (In Louisiana, the leaves are green one day and dead on the ground the next.)

I can't wait to play around with this technique some more as the holidays progress!

No comments: