Tuesday, September 14, 2010

September 2010 Daring Cooks Challenge: Food Preservation, the Apple Butter of Knowledge

The September 2010 Daring Cooks’ challenge was hosted by John of Eat4Fun. John chose to challenge The Daring Cooks to learn about food preservation, mainly in the form of canning and freezing. He challenged everyone to make a recipe and preserve it. John’s source for food preservation information was from The National Center for Home Food Preservation.


 I was beyond thrilled when I saw this month's challenge.  I! LOVE! APPLE BUTTER!! I've been meaning to buy some for ages and this was sooo perfect.  I love apple butter, especially with peanut butter (SO GOOD!!!).  The challenge was doubly awesome because I want to become more proficient at canning.  I plan on starting a garden next summer and I'm sure I'll eventually need to can things.  Making this apple butter was such a rewarding way to spend an afternoon.  It was relaxing and gratifying, and the results were DELICIOUS.  I am strongly considering making apple butter for Christmas gifts.  


I used a combination of Gala, Fuji, and Granny Smith in an attempt to get a full, complex apple experience.  The combination worked well.  

Apple Butter
(adapted from this recipe
  • 6 lbs apples
  • 1 cup apple cider
  • 3/4 cup sugar, or to taste
  • 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp allspice
  • 1/4 tsp cloves

Peel and core the apples, then cut into eighths.  In a large saucepan, combine the apples and apple cider.  Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the apples are soft and falling apart.  Using a potato masher or similar implement, mash the apples.

Mix in the sugar, cinnamon, allspice, and cloves into the apple mash.  Use a stick blender (or be messy and use a handheld blender like me) to create a smoother apple butter.  Bring to a simmer and partially cover; you want the moisture to evaporate out of the butter. 

When the butter is done, it should mound on a plate without the liquid separating around the edges, creating a watery ring.  At this point, the apple butter is ready to be frozen or canned.

I'm not quite ready to blog about canning.  Hopefully, I will do so in the near future.  

No comments: