Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Shrimp Pasta with a Tomato Cream Sauce

Today is hubby's birthday; happy birthday hubby!! Of course, for his birthday he got to decide what we had for dinner.  He requested the "orange shrimp".  After a dumbfounded look, he continued to explain that it looks, but does not taste, orange.  Then I knew what he was talking about.  It's the first recipe I tried from the Pioneer Woman; she calls it Penne a la Betsy after her sister.  As I looked through my blog for the recipe - and I was absolutely sure I blogged it - I could not find it.  I searched "pasta"and "shrimp" to no avail.  I even looked through all my blog entry titles.  I have no idea how this one slipped through the cracks! It is a wonderfully, amazingly, sinfully delicious dish that is pretty simple to prepare.  It is definitely one of my go-to dishes if I want to impress. 


Hubby and I have experimented with different pasta varieties (I don't think we've used the same one twice).  So far, our favorite has been rigatoni.  Tonight, I used bowtie because it's what we had in the pantry. 

 Shrimp Pasta with a Tomato Cream Sauce

  • 1 pound extra large, peeled, deveined shrimp
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 pound pasta
  • 1 onion
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 – 1 cup white wine (chardonnay)
  • 8 oz tomato sauce
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1 tbsp parsley
  • basil

Start the pasta water boiling. Rinse the shrimp under cool water. Heat 1 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp olive oil in a skillet. Sauté shrimp, then remove them to a plate to cool. Boil the pasta.
 Finely dice the onion and garlic. Heat 2 tbsp butter, then add 2 tbsp olive oil. Add the onions and garlic; stir occasionally. Pull tails off the shrimp, then cut them into bite size pieces. Pour wine over onions and garlic. Cook for a few minutes to let the alcohol evaporate. Add tomato sauce; stir. Stir in cream. Simmer for a few minutes. Add shrimp; salt and pepper. Chop parsley and basil. Add to sauce. Pour 3/4 over the pasta to the sauce; salt and pepper as needed.

No comments: