Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Apple Pie

Have you figured out that I LOVE apples? Well I do, especially in baked goods. One of the best things about Thanksgiving is that I get to make apple pie. But, I usually find other excuses to make apple pie.. Most recently, I made one for my friend David's birthday. And before that, I made one for my friends at work.
The thing I love about this pie is its custardy base. Everyone is so surprised and delighted when they bite into it and feel the rich smoothness. The custard and the paper-thin apple slices make this pie unique in the world of chunky apples and goo pies. Not to rag on those pies; they're good and have a rightful place in the pie world. But this pie, MY pie, is better. I promise.


Apple Pie
(from Bell's Best, pg 433)
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp flour
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp cinnamon
2 cups Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced very thin
1 uncooked pie shell (I use Pillsbury because I'm not that hardcore yet)

Preheat the oven to 350F.

Whisk together the sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Add the melted butter and mix well. Beat in the eggs until well combined.

Toss the apples in the custard mixture until they are well coated.

Pour into the pie crust. Make sure the apples and custard are evenly distributed.

Bake 30-45 minutes, until edges look a bit crisp and the middle doesn't jiggle very much. I usually stick a knife in the middle to make sure it isn't too runny.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Um, that looks awesome. I totally miss you and your cooking. And the farmer's market, actually. Ho hum.