Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Some disappointments

Since I have some time off from class, I thought I'd bake some goodies and eagerly post them. Alas, that plan was thwarted. I did bake, fear not. I just didn't bake anything I want to post. Now, I know I should post everything, good and bad, but I've got a kitchen to clean, papers to write, and a thanksgiving feast to prepare for. So, short descriptions will do.

~

I've gone a bit crazy while shopping this past month or so and ended up with 6 cans of pumpkin! It's crazy, I know, but I've discovered I LOVE pumpkiny goodness. I've been making alot of the cookies I usually do (with the delicious cinnamon chips, of which I currently have 5 bags), so I decided to try another pumpkin bread recipe. I got UBERexcited because I was going to give a loaf to my friend as a house-warming gift, then I had another loaf I planned to bring to work, and then for hubby and me I made little mini-muffins, because they are adorable.

At this point in the story, I'd like to say that you should always trust your intuition. Bakers are not demigods, especially those who blog. Accidents/typos/mistakes occur. So when you think it calls for too much baking soda, listen to yourself. Otherwise, you'll end up with 2 loaves and 24 mini muffins of inedible pumpkin bread. I was so disappointed; I kept trying bites hoping that perhaps I'd just gotten a not-well-mixed area... Alas, it was all ruined. The day when you throw away that many freshly baked goodies is a sad, sad day indeed.

~

BUT I decided to keep going. One little mess won't ruin my spirit! I recently bought a bunch of apples, as it is that season and there are a million and one apple things I want to try. I recently discovered that hubby is a huge fan of coffee cake, so I went for this recipe. Apples, streusel, coffee cake.. how could it not be delicious?

Well, my oven has decided the heating element should be way off and way uneven. As in, 1 bottom half burns black while the other side is still only partially cooked. Great, right? Now, disregarding that, there's nothing particularly wrong with this recipe; it just doesn't wow me. And what I'm going for is a reportoire of recipes that WOW me and hopefully you (the eater) too. I think the shortening makes it funny. It's not light and fluffy enough. It needs WAAAY more appley goodness. And much less streusel.

~

Thanksgiving tomorrow. YAAY!

No comments: