Thursday, November 13, 2008

Squash Hearthbread

So, remember that time I posted about spaghetti squash? (Pssst, it was only 20 minutes ago!) Anyhoo, I had tons of squash left over from when I made it yesterday, and I really didn't want to throw it out. I wanted to give the squash a chance to shine and make itself beloved in my eyes. At first I thought savory muffins might be nice. Then I remembered the tasty, tasty bread at Biaggi's and thought perhaps I could mimic that.


So basically, I used Nigella's hearthbread recipe that I adore, and modified it a bit. I prepared the dough as usual and let it rise. Then, when it came time to halve it and roll it out, I stretched it a bit then put about 1/2 a cup of squash on each half. Then I pulled the edges together, sealing the squash inside. I rolled the dough and had a few bits where the squash exploded through, but it's okay. I then brushed the tops with olive oil, sprinkled them with salt and pepper, then baked as per the recipe.

It's pretty tasty, though I don't think this is the best way to do spaghetti squash either. My friend Amanda, who loves squash, seemed to enjoy the bread. Even hubby thought it wasn't too bad (he's not a gourd fan). It's tasty. I plan on eating some and then bringing some to work. This seems to be a good way to get rid of leftover veggies.

No comments: