Thursday, November 13, 2008

Spaghetti Squash


What is this, a sea anemone?? No my friends, it is the spaghetti squash, of which I have just recently become aware. My friend at work had recently made some, so I talked with him a bit, got some ideas, and decided to try it.

I'd seen a recipe online and decided to try that idea. Basically, you bake the squash, remove the "noodles" and toss it with whatever you want.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. It's sweet and crisp. I think I didn't have enough savory to balance the sweet, but it's not a gourd I'm giving up on easily (you'll hear more about that soon).



Spaghetti Squash
  • 1 spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise
  • 1 onion, diced
  • a couple garlic cloves, minced
  • a few tbsp butter

I used a few different sources to bake the squash. I halved it, then placed it face down on a baking sheet. I baked it at 350F for about 20 minutes, then flipped the halves over and brushed them with olive oil. I let those bake until the squash was soft.

While that's going, saute the onion and garlic in the butter.

Once the squash is baked, use a fork to scrape the strands out. You'll easily be able to tell which way to go. It's super fun.

Toss the squash in with the onions and garlic. Saute for a few minutes.

Serve sprinkled generously with parmesan.

No comments: