Friday, June 20, 2008

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Due to the flooding in town, my work is currently operating out of a college in town. We are no longer within walking distance of places for lunch, so the company has been trying to provide at least some sort of food (usually chips). I decided I'd help out a bit and bring in some food. I made another loaf of the Honey Vanilla Challah and these delicious Chocolate Chip Cookies from Karen at Do Better. In my experience, people usually appreciate free food, especially homemade baked goods, but the response to these cookies was amazing. So many people stopped me to tell me how delicious they are (even the head networking guy!). Hubby's friend said they were the best cookies she's ever had. Cool deal right?


The recipe makes A LOT of cookies, somewhere around 6 dozen. My little hand mixer had quite a difficult time in the final mixing stage, so I had to switch to good ol' hand powered stirring.

Chocolate Chip Cookies:
4 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 1/2 cups brown sugar
3 eggs
2 tbsp vanilla
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
6 cups flour (the original recipe is half white and half wheat, but I only have all purpose)
1 bag chocolate chips (I used milk chocolate, original recipe calls for semi-sweet)
1 bag white chocolate chips (I used vanilla chips)

Preheat oven to 350F.
Cream the butter and sugars together. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
In a separate bowl, whisk together salt, baking soda, and flour. Gradually mix into wet ingredients. Stir in chips.
Using cookie scoop (or whatever method you prefer) drop onto cookie sheets. Bake for approximately 11 minutes, until just slightly golden.

These cookies remain nice and soft instead of hardening up like some cookies. That's an important cookie feature for me.

Oh, and by the way, these cookies have hubby's seal of approval. He's not big into baked goods, so if he really likes something, it must be good, right?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

1. The cookies were delicious, as was the bread! I was saddened, but not surprised that they were totally gone today.

2. How did you ever marry someone who isn't big on baked goods?! That's so... oxymoronish or something.

Mama Sarah said...

That's quite a good question. I guess it kind of slipped by me.. I wasn't such a crazy baker when we first met... At least it makes him a good indicator that something is really good.
Luckily, he enjoys the meal things I prepare, most of the time.

Anonymous said...

So happy you made the cookies! They are a real treat.

jenna said...

Your posts lately seem amazing - especially the strawberry cookies. Yum. Glad to hear you're staying afloat.