Sunday, June 22, 2008

Cinnamon Cheesecake Blondies


One of my supervisors/friends at work is very blase towards baked goods, so I see him as a challenge (so far, he's only liked the smores bars, and who wouldn't like smores bars?). Finally, after another round of baked goods leaving him unimpressed, I quizzed him on the things he does like. Most were things that I can't easily bring to work. We both share a fondness for angel food cake, but I want to wait to make one until I have the right pan. But he likes cheesecake, and I happened to have a recipe for Cinnamon-Cheesecake Swirled Blondies from Blonde Ambition. Fate, right? The fact that it's a bar treat makes it easy to bring to work. Perhaps, I won't get such an disappointing reception from him this time.

These blondies are what brought me to the cinnamon chips. For this, I will forever be grateful. I shall put these chips in muffins and cookies and bread and bars. .. Moving on..

Cinnamon Cheesecake Blondies:
cinnamon cheesecake portion:
5 oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg yolk
blondie portion:
6 tbsp butter, melted
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup Cinnamon Chips

To prepare the cheesecake bit, beat cream cheese, sugar, cinnamon, flour, and vanilla until it's smooth. Beat in the egg yolk until just combined. Set aside.
Preheat the oven to 350F and prep an 8x8 baking dish by lining it with foil and spraying it with Pam.
Melt the butter and allow it to cool for 5 minutes (it's good to do this while you're mixing up the cheesecake ingredients).
Beat together brown sugar and butter until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla.
Whisk together salt, flour, baking powder, and cinnamon. Stir into wet mixture.
Stir in cinnamon chips.
Pour the blondie batter into the pan, spreading it evenly and level. Pour the cheesecake mixture over the blondie batter. Using a knife, swirl through the mixtures.
Bake for 25-30 minutes or until it's set in the middle. I'm not sure how long mine baked; it seemed like it took awhile. I was super anxious about it cooking all the way through, so I cut into the middle to see how it looked. Good thing I did, because it still had a while to go.
Let cool before cutting. Warning; the edges might be crunchy and a bit difficult to cut.. if you're using a butter knife.

No comments: