Tuesday, June 24, 2008

New York Style Cheesecake

I've mentioned before that hubby loves cheesecake. He always gets one for his birthday and usually no other time. But with all my baking craziness lately, I decided I'd make him one just because he's so darn cute. I have many saved recipes; caramel cheesecake, vanilla bean cheesecake, etc. But no, hubby wants a plain old New York style cheesecake. With strawberries. Like always. I did have a new plain cheesecake recipe by The Repressed Pastry Chef, utilizing a water bath, so I decided to try it.


Because hubby and I prefer my old recipe and the owner of this recipe wants me to ask permission before linking to her recipes, I'm just not going to post it. Instead, I'll post the recipe I usually use, because we think it's better.. I've had it for YEARS and I have no idea where it came from. Hubby prefers this cheesecake because it's "so thick and creamy" and he likes his cheesecake dense. What hubby wants, hubby gets (when it comes to homemade cheesecake).

New York Style Cheesecake

2 lbs cream cheese
¾ cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 cup sour cream
1 ½ cup graham cracker crumbs
6 tbsp melted butter
¼ cup white sugar

Preheat oven to 400°.

Mix graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, and ¼ cup sugar together. Press mixture onto the bottom of one 9 or 10 inch springform pan. Place in freezer for 10 minutes.

Cream ¾ cup of sugar and cream cheese until smooth. Beat in eggs, vanilla, and cornstarch until just mixed. Stir in sour cream until blended.

Pour into prepared crust. Bake for 45 minutes. Turn oven off and leave cake in oven with door ajar for 3 hours.


Now, some people like their cheesecake swirled with caramel or chocolate (me). Others like raspberry or strawberry (hubby). I have no problem serving it with strawberry, but i REFUSE to use the gross strawberry goop you find at grocery stores. Instead I made my own (thinner) strawberry sauce.

Strawberry Sauce:
1 carton strawberries
sugar
(it's that easy)

Slice your strawberries as thin or thick as you'd like them. Place them in a tupperware container and sprinkle them with a few tablespoons of sugar. Give it a good stir, then cover and place in the fridge. As the strawberries break down in the sugar, they'll get a bit softer and a little less tart while a nice little sauce forms. You can add more sugar if to create a slightly thicker goop.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So... not that I don't understand the desire to like... not plagiarize recipes and such... I don't know that I get the whole 'ask for permission' thing. I mean... if it's online, wouldn't you think it's sort of... out there already? Maybe I'm confused. Maybe this is a long comment. Maybe I love you and should have written your hubby the letter saying I was going to steal you away so we could live in the mountains and make more and more amazing food for all eternity... see you tomorrow/today. :)

Lyfling said...

Oh my lord, that is a beautiful picture.

*salivates*