Friday, June 27, 2008

Marlboro Man Sandwich


Odd name, I know. That's because it's Ree's (the Pioneer Woman) husband's favorite sandwich and she calls him the Marlboro Man. It is also very similar to a dish my mom used to make (which I'll post the next time I make it - I forgot last time oops).

Marlboro Man's Favorite Sandwich (which I shall henceforth call the Marlboro):
2 1/2 lbs cube steak .. now, I just ordered 3.. I'm not sure how many pounds. it was just enough for hubby and me
1 large onion, cut into thin strips or half circles
butter
Chachere's (me) or Lawry's (Pioneer Woman)
approx. 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
a few splashes of Tabasco
buns/rolls .. whichever rock your boat

Melt 2 tbsps butter in a large skillet. Add the onions and cook over a medium-low heat until they are nice and soft.
While the onions are cooking, slice the cube steaks against the grain (if you look closely, you can see that the tenderization of the meat has created a grain for you to cut against). Season with Chachere's/Lawrys.
So after about 5-10 minutes, your onions should be nicely cooked. Remove them from the pan (place in a bowl, on a plate.. just not in your mouth... hey, I'm not the only one who was tempted, was I??)
Melt 2 more tbsps of butter in the same pan. Let it brown a bit (though not blacken) then add the meat, making sure it's in a single layer.
DO NOT stir the meat for the first minute or so; you want the bottom to brown. After that, flip the meat, browning all sides.
Once your meat is totally browned, add the 1/2 cup of worchestershire. Then splash in some Tabasco. (Shockingly, this was my first time really using Tabasco, even though I grew up not an hour away from where it is made!!)
Add 2 more tbsp butter to the sauce and mix well. Add the onions and cover while you prep the buns.
Butter the buns (or the new cooking surface you'll be using: skillet, griddle, etc). Place the buns buttered-face down until the surface is golden and crispy. Flip over momentarily, just until they are warm.
Load delicious meat and onions onto your bun, then spoon some of the juice over it.. Yuuuummm. Enjoy; try not to burn your mouth eating it.



Yeah, that's right; I served it with premade tater-tots. Because we were supposed to do laundry tonight .. and I do not discriminate against most potato products.

No comments: