Monday, September 8, 2008

Custard

Today is hubby's birthday; HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HUBBY! Because I had an 8:30 meeting and then class from noon until 3, we decided it'd be better to have the duck tomorrow so I have more time and less stress. I'm glad we made that decision, because if I had tried to do it today, I would have lost my marbles. Instead, I made his cake today (a simple Angel Food cake), some apple bars for the meeting (which did not bake thoroughly!!), and modified Marlboro Man sandwiches. Oh yes, and the custard since I had so many egg yolks left over after making the cake.

I used a recipe from Nigella's How to Be a Domestic Goddess, because honestly, where better to find an authentic custard recipe? I was a little anxious at first, due to the hot liquid that must be poured onto egg yolks, but things went well.


Custard:
How to Be a Domestic Goddess, p 134
1 tsp vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
2 1/4 cups light cream (I used whipping cream because light doesn't equate to any american cream... that I know of. Please correct me if you can)
5 large egg yolks
1 tbsp sugar (I added an additional 1/2 tbsp)

If you're using the vanilla bean, heat it in a pan with the cream until almost boiling. Remove from heat, cover, and let seep for 20 minutes, then heat until warm. If you're using vanilla extract, combine the cream and vanilla extract in a pan and heat.

In a large bowl, beat together the yolks and sugar. Slowly pour the vanilla cream into the sweet yolks, beating the ENTIRE time.

Wash and dry your pan, then pour the mixture back into it. Cook over medium heat until it has thickened (about 10 minutes). Stir constantly!

Once the custard has thickened, plunge it into cold water and whisk for an additional minute or two. Eat then or store for a later time.

To reheat, pour it into a bowl placed over a pan of simmering water.

Delicious.

1 comment:

Lyfling said...

I demand pictures of the duck!!