Monday, September 22, 2008

Pumpkin Bread

Last week, we had a dip in the temperature which left me craving autumny goodness. It wasn't until after the weather warmed a bit that I've gotten a chance to actually bake something. I decided to make pumpkin bread - which I've never made before - so I started looking around for recipes. So often, I go straight to the internet, ignoring the great cookbooks I've got here at home. I found multiple recipes and decided to go with one from The Taste of Home Cookbook because I found it intriguing. It calls for the use of vanilla cook and serve pudding. As it's using something common in a not-so-common way, I really wanted to try it.



Pumpkin Bread
(from Linda Burnett, pg 432-433, The Taste of Home Cookbook)
  • 5 eggs
  • 1 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 can (15 oz) pumpkin
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 packages (total 6 oz) cook and serve vanilla pudding mix
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 325. Grease/butter/spray 2 standard loaf pans.

In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, then add the oil and pumpkin. Beat until smooth.

In a separate bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients. Add slowly to pumpkin mix. Pour into the greased pans.

Bake 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack to .. cool it completely.


So.. after 55 minutes, I did the whole skewer thing and it came out clean. Good thing because one loaf's edges were browning! BUT when I went to slice it up (at work no less) The middle of the loaf was supermoist. It's edible, but a weird texture.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love pumpkin bread. Yum. :)