Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Smothered Chicken

Today we had my mom's smothered chicken. I loved this as a kid, though I generally ignored the chicken and just ate the rice drenched in sauce. What can I say? I wasn't fond of meat as a child. All that changed with a steak... but that's a story for another time.

I debated putting up the picture; it isn't all that appealing. But, 1) it's a chicken breast and how attractive can it really be, and 2) sometimes there just isn't time for snazzing up a meal. We know this; let's embrace it.

I've decided from here on out, I'm going to use chicken tenders more than chicken breasts, or I'm going to stab the bejesus out of the breasts before cooking. The ones I get here are so HUGE that it's just about impossible to get tasty flavorfulness into the entirety of the meat. They are just too large. Grr.


Smothered Chicken:

3-5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
oil
1 onion, chopped
1 can soup (Mom uses cream of chicken; I decided to spice it up with some Nacho Cheese soup I accidentally bought eons ago)
Salt & Pepper

Heat a small amount of olive oil in a skillet (one with a lid). Saute the onions until clear. Remove from the pan.

Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Add a bit more oil to the skillet, then brown the chicken. Remove the chicken from the pan.

Stir up the soup a bit, then add it to the pan. Pour in some water; I used about 1/2 a cans worth. Stir until well combined and return the chicken and onions to the pan. You want enough liquid to come up around the meat, but don't dilute the soup too much.

Let simmer for at least an hour.

Best served with rice.

2 comments:

Lyfling said...

Mmmm . . . I don't care if you think that doesn't look tasty, it sounds delicious.

(Probably because I know exactly what you mean with the rice and the sauce and the tastiness and yummm . . .)

Yay for cooking again!

Lyfling said...

Oh, btw, I'm always on the hunt for quick and easy recipes. You should let me know if you find anything you think I'd like.

Oh . . . also, do you have any family recipes for dirty rice? I'd like something with a friendly endorsement.

<3!