Saturday, December 27, 2008

Mini Baklava Cups

I got this recipe from a magazine at work; shame on me for not writing down which. I'll have to get it Monday. Gotta have proper citations, right?

Anyhoo, I love baklava. From the moment I tried this glorious dessert in middle school (thank you, Ms. Gutsmeidl) I have loved it, but I absolutely hate dealing with phyllo. It's a pain. We don't get along. So when I saw this recipe using preformed phyllo cups, I had to give it a try. It's single size and portability made it great for a get-together as well.

Everyone seemed to enjoy these adorable treats, but also agreed that it somewhat misses the true baklava taste. One guest likened them to health-food bars, though positively mind you.


Mini Baklava Cups
  • 2 packages mini phyllo dough shells
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 2 tsp lemon juice
  • 1 cup shelled pistachios
  • 3 tbsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ground cloves
  • 1 tbsp butter, melted

Heat oven to 350F. Place shells on a baking sheet, preferably one that has a rim.

In a small cup or bowl, stir together the honey and lemon juice until they are well blended; set aside.

In a food processor (or stupid Magic Bullet) pulse pistachips, sugar, cinnamon, and cloves until just chopped. Add butter and pulse to distribute evenly.

Spoon a rounded teaspoonful into each shell. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until they are lightly brownded.

Spoon 1 teaspoon of the honey mixture over the hot filling. (I ran out and had to mix a little bit more together) Cool on a wire rack. Make sure something is placed underneath in case of drips.

No comments: