Sunday, December 28, 2008

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

I've been searching for a great oatmeal raisin cookie recipe... lazy, waiting-for-them-to-come-to-me searching. What I want seems to not be the typical oatmeal cookie. I want a fluffy cookie. While I find great recipes, they are never fluffy. I guess I'll have just have to bite the bullet and start experimenting.

Anyhoo. Some of the guys at work said oatmeal cookies were their favorite, so I decided to include them in the Christmas cookie collective. I have a few recipes I've pulled off TasteSpotting, and decided to try this recipe since I've already tried, and ruled out, the Quaker Oats lid recipe. I found them enjoyable, as did hubby.



Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 2 cups light brown sugar, packed
  • 1 cup butter
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 3 cups old-fashioned oats
  • 1 - 1 1/2 cups raisin
  • powdered sugar for rolling
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.

In a separate bowl, cream together sugar and butter. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in dry ingredients, oats, and raisins.

Chill dough. To save my sanity, I made a few of my doughs the day before; this was one of them. So you can chill it for a few hours or a couple days. Whatever works best for you and your schedule.

Once your dough has chilled and you're ready to make the cookies, preheat the oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Roll dough into walnut-sized balls. Now, I'm not all that familiar with walnuts, so mine were probably 1 1/2 inches. They were a bit too large as the cookies will flatten and expand quite a bit. I ended up with square cookies because they all ended up smooshing into each other!

Now, roll each dough ball in the powdered sugar. To remove excess sugar, I sort of tossed the ball back and forth between my hands a few times. Worked like a charm. Place cookies 2 inches apart on baking sheet.

Butter the bottom of a drinking glass. Press it into the powdered sugar, then press down on each cookie until it's about 1/4 inch thick.

Bake 8-10 minutes.

No comments: