Saturday, December 27, 2008

Peanut Butter Pixies

After my successful fudge experience, I wanted to try peanut butter fudge. It was my favorite fudge variety as a kid. I happily came across this recipe for Two Toned Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge. My friends, after sampling it, excitedly chattered about my making peanut butter pixies, which they had all had in school. I think Peanut Butter Pixie is a fun name, so I'm sticking with it.

These were a bit too creamy and soft to really be fudgy, but they are quite tasty; a great blend of peanut butter and chocolate. Definitely something I will make again.. and again.. and again.. until the end of my sugar-soaked life. (Have I mentioned yet how much sugar I've had in the past week???)


Peanut Butter Pixies
  • 1 cup peanut butter chips
  • 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
  • 2 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 small jar (7 0z) marshmallow cream
  • 3/4 cup evaporated milk
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract

First - as with all fudge - line an 8x8 pan with foil. Now, my 8x8 was occupied at the time with some tasty gingerbread, so I used a slightly differently sized pan (10x7 maybe) which resulted in thinner fudge.

Place peanut butter chips in a heat-safe medium-large bowl. In a separate yet similar bowl, place the chocolate chips.

In a heavy sauce pan, combine sugar, marshmallow cream, evaporated milk, and butter. Cook over medium heat, STIRRING CONSTANTLY, until it boils. Boil for 5 minutes (continue that stirring!). Remove from the heat and quickly stir in the vanilla.

This is where I deviated from the recipe. It says to "Working safely, but quickly, stir one-half of the hot mixture into peanut butter chips and the other half into the chocolate chips. Stir the peanut butter mixture until fully melted and quickly pour into prepared pan" then to do the same with the chocolate chips. I was worried about having equal amounts in both chocolate and peanut butter, as well as the mixture cooling before I could get it all done. So instead, I called in hubby and had him assist. I alternately ladled a ladleful of hot mixture into the separate chip-filled bowls. Then hubby and I each stirred one bowl until our chips had melted. He poured his peanut butter mixture, then I poured mine on top. This worked well.

Let cool to room temp. Cut into squares.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you and your friends enjoyed these! Mmmmm, I want to go make some more myself! Merry Christmas!