Sunday, December 28, 2008

Raspberry Split-Seconds

Last year, I made raspberry thumbprints, which hubby really enjoyed. I'll admit, the recipe I used called for a pack of sugar cookie mix. And while you added more than the required ingredients to it, I felt like a cheater. A big, fat cookie cheater. So this year I decided to find a good replacement. these caught my eye because they are a similar concept, but a much more fun shape.

After I wrapped up all the gift cookies, hubby snuck the bag of these leftovers. I found the bag with 1 sad cookie left for me. :(


Raspberry Split-Second Cookies
(The Taste of Home Cookbook, pg 560)
  • 3/4 cup butter, softened
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 1 3gg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup raspberry jam

Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until it is light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually mix in flour mixture until well combined.

Divide the dough into 4 equal portions. Shape each into a 12 inch long log. Place 2 each on a baking sheet, leaving 4 inches between them.

Make a 1/2 inch deep indentation down the center of the logs. (Mine weren't deep enough.) Fill the indentation with jam. The best way to do this is the put the jam into a bowl and stir it really well so it's a smooth consistency, then spoon it into a ziplock baggie. Cut the tip off the baggie and pipe the jam into the indentation. Easy and clean! Great task for children and husbands.

Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until lightly golden. Let cool. The recipe calls for 2 minutes, but I let it sit longer, giving more time for the jam to cool so it didn't stick on everything. Cut diagonally into 3/4 inch slices.

Remove to wire rack and cool completely.

No comments: