Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Tart Fun

At some point this summer, I bought some mini tart pans. I figured I'd need some sooner or later. I've been flirting with the idea of making tarts, especially when I have blackberries around. Well, finally, I had blackberries. And left-over pie crust. So, I decided it was time to play.

A week or so before, hubby had asked for an apple pie, which I never got around to baking, so I decided to make him a little apple tart. He enjoyed it.


Then, I got around to playing with the blackberries. I decided (for both tarts) to mix of a sort of cream based off the custard in my apple pie. It's a mix of sugar, eggs, and butter with a bit of flour. It worked well (even all by itself in my last little tart - no picture).


The blackberry tart has peach preserves brushed/dolloped on top. I figured it would add a nice sweetness with the peach complimenting the blackberry. It was supersweet, but in a delicious way.


One day, I'll be cool enough to make my own pastry. And I'll have a better, actual custard. But, this endeavor was an enjoyable way to spend a bit of the Christmas holiday.

No comments: