Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Corn Maque Choux

(If you're unsure, it's pronounced "mock shoe")

A couple days ago, I had the strangest desire to make some corn maque choux, which is weird because I've only had it a few times before and it was never my favorite dish.  But for some reason, I craved the creamy, spicy, sweetness that makes this dish.   I glanced at a couple recipes then decided to swing it.   Hubby thought I made it too sweet, but it's a personal preference.  Start with a little sugar and add it to your liking.  Using Rotel canned tomatoes and chilies adds the perfect amount of heat.




Corn Maque Choux
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 can sweet kernel corn
  • 1 can Rotel tomatoes and chilies
  • 1 can cream style corn
  • 1-2 tsp sugar (I used a full 2 tsp)
  • 2 tsp cream
  • salt to taste
In a large skillet, melt the butter.  Add the onion and cook over medium heat until soft.  Stir in sweet corn and let cook for a minute or two.  Stir in the Rotel, then gently stir in the creamed corn.   Sprinkle the sugar over the surface and stir in.  Slowly stir in cream.  Bring  to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover, and let cook for 15 minutes.

1 comment:

jenna said...

happy belated mardi gras!

when is the best time to be a tourist in louisiana if you are a mellow kind of person like me?

(as opposed to a beer-swilling bead-throwing person)