Thursday, February 11, 2010

Hard Cider Bread

When making the chocolate chili, I decided to give beer bread a try.   Except, hubby and I don't drink beer.  I do have some hard cider left over from Thanksgiving (bought for the delicious turkey) and thought that could make for some mighty interesting bread.  Good thing for me, I was right.   The cider gave it a nice apple scent and slight sweetness while also having a bit of a kick.  The bread had an excellent, crisp crust.


 Hard Cider Bread
(recipe adapted from Bell's Best, beer bread recipe, page  74)
  • 3 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3/4 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 12 oz room temperature hard cider


Preheat oven to 350F and butter a bread pan.


Whisk together dry ingredients then slowly stir in the hard cider.  Be careful because it will froth up.  Stir until combined, though it will most likely be very thick and a bit chunky.   The recipe says 25 strokes should do.  I didn't count.


Pour/spoon/glop into prepared pan and bake 60-75 minutes.  

No comments: