Sunday, February 14, 2010

The February 2010 Daring Cook's Challenge: Mezze Table

The 2010 February Daring COOKs challenge was hosted by Michele of Veggie Num Nums. Michele chose to challenge everyone to make mezze based on various recipes from Claudia Roden, Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Dugid.

Oh my, this challenge was so fun!! A mezze table is a style of meal that involves multiple small dishes from which everyone takes a little.  It can be a full meal or an appetizer or whatever you want.  The exciting part of this challenge is that it required making homemade pita bread and hummus.  I've been wanting to try my hand at hummus for a while and this finally made me do it!  There were a few optional recipes to do, so I also made cucumber raita and falafel.  We had feta in the fridge so I set some of that out too. 


 The hummus did not come out quite right, which was totally my fault.  It was a bit dry and my brain seemed to forget what hummus should taste like every time I tried mine.  Next time I make hummus, I'll be sure to add more liquid and I'll tweak the ingredients more.    


The Falafel was amazing! It was seriously the best falafel I've ever had.  I was so impressed with it and myself because I've always imagined falafel was really difficult to make.  


The pita was good and also fun to make as it puffs up in the oven.  


The raita was a bit too tangy; next time I might do half Greek yogurt and half whole-milk yogurt.



I do plan on posting the recipes at some point, but hubby and I are going to New Orleans for the Bacchus Mardi Gras parade and we must leave now. 

No comments: