Saturday, February 27, 2010

February 2010 Daring Bakers' Challenge: Tiramisu

The February 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Aparna of My Diverse Kitchen and Deeba of Passionate About Baking. They chose Tiramisu as the challenge for the month. Their challenge recipe is based on recipes from The Washington Post, Cordon Bleu at Home and Baking Obsession. 

I can't exactly remember, but I'm pretty sure I squealed with delight when I learned the challenge for this month was tiramisu.  It's a dessert I love, yet never have.  I kept considering attempting to make it, but most of my eaters don't do coffee.. And then this challenge came along! I made it as the dessert to complement the homemade pasta Courtney and I made.  Yum yum!


 The recipe was definitely a challenge in that it required two to three days to make all of the components and get it together.  The first part of the challenge was to make homemade mascarpone cheese (a super soft, creamy cheese), which required straining in the fridge over night.  I next made a vanilla pastry cream (YUM) and zabaglione (a thick custard made with wine).   Then, the lady fingers (savoiardi biscuits) had to be baked.  Finally, the dish could be assembled, then chilled over night before serving.

I made two sizeable mistakes: most obviously, my sifter wasn't as fine as I remembered, resulting in a too-thick cocoa dusting on top.  Secondly, my lady fingers were quite dry and did not absorb much of anything.  I probably overmixed the batter. 

If I ever need to really impress someone, I'd probably pull this recipe up and give it another go! The creamy mixture is just so damn good.

No comments: