Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A Different Take on Chili

When it's cold, who doesn't want a nice bowl of chili to warm them up?  It's such a hearty dish.  All of the chili I've ever had has been quite the same, beef and beans in a rich tomato sauce, seasoned simply with chili powder and salt.  But I've heard whispers of a different chili, an exotic one.. one with chocolate.  I decided yesterday that it was time to try this chocolate chili and satisfy my curiosity.   I looked around at a couple of recipes and used this one as a guide.  I also made a beer bread, which I'll post next.


 Overall, I enjoyed this chili; it was both familiar and new.   The tomato is toned down  and the spices bring a richness, a darkness almost, to the dish.  Hubby asked that I tone down the spices, but dad and I liked it as it was. 

Chili 
  • 1 lb lean ground beef
  • 1 medium onion, coarsely diced
  • 1  tbsp cocoa powder (I used Hershey's special dark)
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp cloves
  • 1/4 tsp red pepper
  • 1/2 tsp salt (more to taste)
  • 8 oz tomato sauce
  • 1 can beef broth
  • 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1 can beans (I used kidney beans but pinto or black would work as well)

In a large pot, brown the ground beef, stirring frequently to break it up into small pieces.  Add the onion and cook over medium heat until the onions start to soften.  Add the cocoa powder, cumin, cinnamon, cloves, red pepper, and salt and stir well.  Let cook for a few minutes before adding beef broth and sauce.   Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for one hour, stirring occasionally.  Halfway through, add the beans and vinegar.  


Serve with plenty of cheese, though I did not because I did not have any. 

No comments: