Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Baked Potato Salad

A long time ago, my dad brought home some potato salad made by a friend that was unlike any I had eaten before.  At first we puzzled over its smooth creaminess; what could it be? Finally it hit me, leaving me feeling like an absolute idiot. Sour cream. And green onions. It was like eating a cold yet delicious baked potato.  Since that day, I planned on making my own and just never got around to it. I almost did a few times, but something (perhaps my own laziness) got in the way.. Until yesterday, when I decided it would make a great accompaniment to some sausage poboys (which, amusingly, we had to do the sausage in the oven since it was raining all evening). 



This was a hit! Dad, hubby, and I all loved it; when I got home from an appointment today, hubby bragged that he'd eaten all the leftovers. The brat! It being the first time I tried this, there are a few things I'd do differently, of course.  I'd let my potatoes cool before mixing everything together in an attempt to keep them from mushing up so much.  Also, after mixing everything together, I'd refrigerate it for awhile so it would be cool. I'd mix in some bits of bacon too, but all of my bacon was frozen, and I forgot to deal with it. Oops. Oh well.

Baked Potato Salad
  • 2 lbs red potatoes, cut into quarters
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 3-4 green onions, chopped 
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 3 tbsp bacon bits (real bacon, please) 

Boil potatoes until they are cooked thoroughly; let cool to room temperature.  Mix in sour cream, onions, and bacon bits.  Season with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.

No comments: