Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Smothered Squash

At the grocery store yesterday, they had the most gorgeous squash, so I bought some even though they weren't on my list and I was trying  to be a good little shopper by sticking to the list.. It didn't last long; the squash were just the first of multiple non-list items. But the squash was well worth it.  I don't think I've ever had any this sweet; I was genuinely taken by surprise when I took my first bite. I was ebullient when I saw I would have leftovers, meaning I could have the deliciousness again (and again).



Smothered anything is rather simple to make; squash is no exception.  It's something my family has always made (though maybe infrequently) and now that I live with a fellow gourd lover (unlike hubby), I can finally make it. 


Smothered Squash
  • 4-5 medium sized yellow squash, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
  • 2 large onions, sliced
  • 4 tbsp butter
  • salt and pepper to taste

In a large skillet (one with a top), melt butter over medium heat.  Add the onions and saute for 5 minutes, or until they start to wilt. Add in the squash. Cover and, stirring occasionally, cook for about 20-30 minutes, until the squash becomes translucent and begins to fall apart.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

Serves 4 generously.

2 comments:

Lyfling said...

Nice word choice: ebullient. Is Bobby why you didn't make squash while you were here? I love squash! Damn him, always coming between us . . .

Mama Sarah said...

He is!! Damn bothersome spouse. =) I'll make us squash when you come to visit.