Sunday, September 13, 2009

Stroganoff Meatballs

When I asked hubby wanted he wanted for dinner today, he requested meatballs "with delicious sauce." At first, I had no idea what he was talking about, then I remembered something I've made a few times in the past. Really, they were my first foray into the meatball world. They're pretty simple, and they're served with a decent stroganoff sauce (though, it's the only one I've had so it might not be too authentic).


I'm not entirely sure where I first found this recipe; I believe it came from one of my mother's cookbooks. Perhaps A Taste of Home? I don't really know, but I'll try to find out.

Stroganoff Meatballs
Meatballs
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup dry, plain bread crumbs
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 tbsp dried minced onion (or you can use fresh, just mince it well)
  • 1 tbsp dried parsley
  • 1/4 tsp garlic salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1 lb ground beef (I always use the leanest beef)
Sauce
  • 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 2 tsp chili sauce (I use a tsp or two of chili powder)
  • 1/4 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1/8 tsp garlic salt

Preheat oven to 450F.

In a large bowl, beat the egg. Add the crumbs, milk, onions, parsley, garlic salt, and pepper, and mix well. Add the beef and mix until well combined. Using approximately 1 tbsp of the meat mixture, roll it into 1 inch balls. Place on an ungreased baking sheet.

While the meatballs are baking, prepare the sauce by combining all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat until well combined and thoroughly heated. If you like, you may thin out the thick sauce with a few tablespoons of milk.

Bake for 10-15 minutes or until no longer pink. Drain on paper towels.

No comments: