Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Zucchini Fritters

I'm a big fan of squash and zucchini. Sadly, hubby is not; he once told me disdainfully that he is not eat things from the gourd family. He makes a few exceptions (like my mom's very cheesy squash casserole) but we've rarely eaten any since moving in together. Now that we're living with my dad, the tables have turned. It's 2 to 1, so zucchini and squash are in.
Recipes for zucchini fritters seem to be popping up quite a bit right now, which makes sense with it being in season and so tasty. I've decided I need a better balance between recipes from the internet and my cookbook collection, so I used another recipe from Nigella Lawson's Forever Summer. I modified the recipe a bit by halving it, substituting chevre for feta, and cutting out some of the herbs.


Zucchini Fritters
(Nigella Lawson, Forever Summer, p 156)
[my adaptations in brackets]
  • 4 zucchini (approximately 1 1/2 lbs) [I used 3]
  • 5-6 scallions, finely chopped [I used 3]
  • 9 oz feta cheese [4 oz chevre]
  • small bunch fresh parsley, chopped [1 tbsp chopped frozen parsley]
  • small bunch of fresh mint, plus extra to sprinkle over [omitted]
  • 1 tbsp dried mint [omitted]
  • 1 tsp paprika [1/2 tsp paprika]
  • scant 1 cup all purpose flour [1/2 cup flour]
  • salt and pepper
  • 3 eggs, beaten [1 1/2 eggs beaten. I beat the first egg and added it in, then beat the second egg and added half of it]
  • olive oil for frying
  • 3-4 limes [omitted]

Coarsely grate the zucchini. Spread the little shards out on a tea towel and leave for about 20 minutes to remove excess moisture. [I laid paper towels atop the tea towel]

Put the chopped scallions in a bowl and crumble in the cheese. Stir in the parsley, mints, and paprika. Add the flour and season well with salt and pepper. [Please take into account the saltiness of the cheese.] Gradually add in the beaten egg and mix thoroughly before stirring in the drained, grated zucchini. It will be lumpy.

Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan and drop heaping tablespoons of zucchini mixture into the hot oil, flattening the fritters as you go. Cook approximately 2 minutes on each side until golden, then transfer to a plate lined with paper towels.

Serve on a dish with the chopped limes and mint. [I did not do this.]

I served mine with sour cream, which helped alleviate the fact that I over-salted.

No comments: