Sunday, September 13, 2009

Zucchini Bread

After making zucchini fritters some time ago, I still had oodles of zucchini left over. I didn't just want to steam some for dinner, so I got online and looked for zucchini bread recipes. I found one I really wanted to try at Our Best Bites for a chocolate zucchini bread, but hubby and my dad did not like that idea at all (thought hubby doesn't really like the idea of zucchini bread). Luckily for me, the same site had an alternate, chocolate free version of the zucchini bread that I used.


Unfortunately, my bread was a bit bitter. I'm not sure if it was my baking soda or zucchini, but it definitely left the bread a bit unpleasant. Well, I thought so; my dad really enjoyed it. Hubby wouldn't try it.

Zucchini Bread
(original recipe by Our Best Bites)

bread

  • 2 1/4 cups flour
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp ground cloves
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 cup canola oil
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • zest from one large orange
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 3 cups grated zucchini
  • optional: 2/3 cups chopped pecans, toasted (I omitted)
Topping:
  • 2 tbsp white sugar
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour 2 loaf pans and set aside.

Combine flour, cinnamon, cloves, salt, and baking soda in a bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.

Beat eggs, oil, sugars, and vanilla for about 30 seconds. Add sour cream and orange zest and beat to combine. Mix in zucchini.

Add dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Divide batter between 2 pans. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.

Make sure to let your loaf rest on a cooling rack for at least 10 minutes before you try to remove it from the pan or it will come out in chunks!

No comments: