Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Vietnamese Caramel Shrimp

Oh, to be in Louisiana during shrimp season is one of my greatest joys in life. There are few things as satisfying as going to the store and picking up large, local gulf shrimp. Yum yum. Now I finally get to try out the shrimp recipes I accumulated while in Iowa, like the one I found years ago for Vietnamese Caramel Shrimp. This dish is a perfect marriage of sweet, savory, and heat. And while it's easy to make, this will most certainly impress anyone it's served to with its complexity.


Vietnamese Caramel Shrimp
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 1/2 cup water, divided in half
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 shallot, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 tsp ginger, grated
  • 1 small chili, seeded and chopped
  • 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 2 tbsp fish sauce
  • pepper to taste
  • 1 tsp sesame oil
  • 1 tbsp cilantro, chopped

In a small sauce pan, heat sugar and 1/4 cup water over medium high heat. Stir constantly until it caramelizes and turns dark brown. Add the other 1/4 cup water and heat until caramel dissolves. [Be careful as you pour the water in; otherwise, you will steam the bejeebs out of your hand.] Remove from heat and set aside.

In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Add shallot, garlic, ginger, and chili; saute for 3-5 minutes. Add in the shrimp, 2 tbsps of the caramel sauce you made, fish sauce, and pepper. Simmer until the shrimp is pink all over, about 2-4 minutes. [I flipped the shrimp half-way through the cooking process so sauce would be on both sides. You know the shrimp are done when they are stiff.]

Remove from the heat and stir in sesame oil and cilantro.



Not surprisingly, I served this dish over rice, which was great as the rice mixed with the sauce made a tasty dish on its own.

3 comments:

test it comm said...

Your shrimp look great! Now you've got me craving them again.

Mama Sarah said...

This recipe was so great!! My dad and husband went on about how great it was for a few days. I think I'll have to make it again soon for my sister and her husband.

Lyfling said...

These are gorgeous! I might actually try this (or get Abbiey to make it for me). Nom.