Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Custard, with Apple Chips

I'm the kind of person who frequently follows her whims, be they singing Christmas carols in September or blowing bubbles in the house. Tonight, I felt like making custard. I'd updated my blog and was doing some research for the Daring Bakers challenge (coming soon to food blogs near you), when I suddenly longed for custard. Unfortunately, I don't have much cream or sugar, but most fortunately, I came across this awesome recipe from some gal named Vicki's grandmother.  I'll admit I was a bit iffy at first, since it called for flour and whole eggs (as opposed to just the yolks), but what the hell. It's a good thing I tried it out because man, this is delicious. It's like crack. I'm furiously imagining all of the glorious things I could spoon it over warm while I wait for it to cool. I've got a fresh batch of apple chips, and I know exactly what I'm going to do with them... 



Oh look at that lonely chip floating in a sea of tasty..

 

Much better; now he's got some support.

 

Oh no! The evil lady is whisking one away! 
*Nom nom nom*



Sadly, these two little guys didn't make it. 
Official cause of death: drowning. Unofficial cause of death: devouring.

Okay, dorky picture time is over. Let me just say that the apple chips and custard go super well together; way better than I anticipated, and I expected them to be goshdarn good. 

Vicki's Grandma's Custard
6 tbsp flour
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups milk
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp butter


In a large, heat resistant bowl, combine flour, sugar, and salt.  Whisk in milk and eggs.  Cook over a pot of boiling water, stirring constantly. CONSTANTLY. Stir constantly until it thickens, approximately 10-15 minutes.


When it has thickened, add the vanilla extract and butter.  Pour into dishes and cool. They don't need to be big dishes, trust me.


1 comment:

Lyfling said...

LOL! Those poor apple chips!