Sunday, September 6, 2009

Garlic Cheddar Biscuits

The other night, we had a *slight* cool front move in, so hubby's mom invited us over for chili. I usually bring a dessert when we go over for dinner, but I also had the idea to bring along some cheddar biscuits. Everyone seems to love them. When people talk about Red Lobster, they discuss how great the biscuits are (not the seafood). Biscuits, cheese, garlic.. how could anyone not like that? Who doesn't like biscuits?? I've never... oh wait, I've met one person who doesn't like biscuits: my sister-in-law. It's a shame. But anyhoo. There are recipes everywhere of all varieties for cheddar biscuits; I went with this one over at folkmann.ca. I was looking for something easy since I was also baking cheesecake brownies. This recipe fit the bill, and was delicious to boot.


Garlic Cheddar Biscuits
(adapted from Better Homes and Gardens at folkmann.ca)
[I halved the recipe as I was running low on flour, but I'll post the original)

  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 3/4 tsp cream of tartar
  • 3/4 cup butter, cut into small squares
  • 1 1/4 cups milk
  • 1 clove garlic, diced
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar

Preheat the oven to 450F. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and cream of tartar. Using a pastry cutter, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

Make a well in the center of the flour mixture, and add the milk all at once. Using a fork, stir just until the mixture is moistened. Fold in the garlic and cheese, taking care not to work it too much or you'll make the biscuits less fluffy.

Using a large spoon, drop dough into 12 mounds on to a greased baking sheet.

Bake for 10-14 minutes or until golden. Remove biscuits from baking sheet and serve warm.

* Next time, I think I'll brush the tops of the biscuits with melted butter a few minutes before the baking time is.

No comments: