Friday, July 4, 2008

4th of July

Alright kiddos, tomorrow (though technically today) is going to be a good day. I've moped enough; it's time to get back in the kitchen.
I stressed and stressed over what to make for this Independence Day; I've decided to reclaim this holiday that we couldn't really celebrate when I was a kid. I want barbeques and family get togethers and fireworks. That can't happen this year, but I've decided it will happen in the future. It's gotta.

My desire to spend July 4th in the standard celebratory way being said, this year I'm going somewhat non-traditional. Firstly, I don't have a grill or bbq pit. To mimic the grilled/bbqed meal requires lots and lots of baking in the oven (especially for the brisket I so desperately crave). Secondly, I don't really have a big crowd to feed. My family is back home, my college friends are mostly home for the summer, and my work friends are working, and at various times mind you. So a big meal is out of the question. Thirdly, I absolutely could not decide on a meat to prepare; none of my recipes felt right and that says something as I have so many. So, forget the meat and a main course. I don't even need a proper meal. Why spend all of the wonderful day getting a meal together? Instead, I shall cook at a slow, leisurely pace. A dish here, a dish there, to be enjoyed as they're made.

As of this moment, I plan on having the following:
homemade lemonade
sweet iced tea
deviled eggs
Nigella Lawson's garlic and parsley hearth bread
ricotta and mint stuffed strawberries
blueberry cobbler

I'm also hoping to hit the farmers' market tomorrow afternoon to see what goodies I can find. I'm excited!

No comments: