Sunday, July 20, 2008

Nigella's Mustard Pork Chops

So it's been awhile since I updated; I needed to take a few days to process the farmers' market experience before posting. Add to that some crazy allergy action and a migraine, and the time just wasn't ripe for posting or cooking. But I'm back.

Regarding the market: I am so lucky to have the friends that I have. Amanda and Josh helped me prep and set up, then Dan sat with me during the 2 hours of the market. Dan's humor made what could have been a difficult time quite enjoyable. I underestimated how difficult it would be being the new kid (and definitely a kid by market standards), so my spirits were quite down by the end of the day. But no one is a huge success right from the start, unless they've laced their goods with cocaine.... I've not reached that point yet. But anyhoo, we've got some ideas brewing as to how to appeal to the market crowd and hopefully I'll be back Wednesday if I can get my shift at work covered. If not, I'll be there the Wednesday after.


Now on to the food! Both of my Nigella cookbooks came in and I am super-excited to start trying them. In the future, look for recipes from Nigella and Alice Waters. It'll be a good time.



Mustard Pork Chops
from Nigella Express (pg 11)
  • 2 pork chops, about 1 lb total
  • 2 tsp garlic oil
  • 1/2 cup hard cider *
  • 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
  • 1/3 cup heavy cream

* If you're in the USA like me, you might have a difficult time finding hard cider (made from fermented apples). As a substitute (please don't judge harshly) I used an Arbor Mist Orchard Fruits Chardonnay; it was the only appley alcohol I could find other than apple schnapps.


Trim the fat off the chops, then bash them with a rolling pin between two pieces of plastic wrap to flatten them a bit. (I bought butterflied chops, so I ignored this step.)

Heat the oil in a pan and cook the chops over a medium-high heat for about 5 minutes on each side. Remove them to a plate, warmed if possible.

Pour the cider - or cheap wine - into the still-heated pan to deglaze it. Let it cook for a minute or so, then add the mustard and cream. Stir well.

Let the sauce cook for a few minutes, then pour over the plated pork chops.


Hubby and I both really enjoyed this; the pork chop was nicely browned outside and tender inside. The sauce wasn't overwhelmingly mustardy - which I feared. I'll have to start using wholegrain mustard more.

I served this with Nigella's mac and cheese, which I'll blog about shortly. Hubby loved that too!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Looks super tasty.

Unfortunately (well, fortunately for my tastebuds, but not for my belly) I've been eating your Farmer's Market goodies ALL DAY.

Lazy weekend = no cooking. I finally had some cereal a little while ago. Ah well. It was tasty. :)