Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Angel Food Cake Musings

Since I've made all the stuff I'm making for the farmers' market before, I'm not posting any of the stuff.. but while beating.. and beating.. and beating.. and beating.. the egg whites for the angel food cake, I started thinking about the first time I ever made such a cake. I was a young teen, perhaps younger, and my mom warned me not to overbeat the egg whites. I had no idea it would take so long to whip them up to a stiff peak, so the entire time they were whipping (YAY kitchenaid stand mixers!) I stood by, ever watchful, stopping the mixer every couple of minutes to see if my peaks had formed. I was terrified that as I stood there, suddenly my eggs would rapidly deflate back into a clear, runny goop.. or worse yet, some unimaginable mess. Aahh. Inexperience. End of story.

P.S. I've made mini-cobblers! They're adorable, and I'll have to take a picture!

No comments: