Friday, July 11, 2008

Banana Nut Bars

I love these light, fluffy bars of bananay goodness. The kids at school love them. The people at work, not so much. That's not to say my co-workers didn't eat them; I just didn't get a lot of feedback. Oh well. I'll still make them again
This recipe comes from the awesome Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. They're best if they sit for a day or so; the banana flavor seems to intensify into this mindblowing goodness.


Banana Nut Bars:
Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook, pg 265
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup mashed bananas (approx 3 medium bananas) I usually add a bit more
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (I use pecans)
icing
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tbsp milk or orange juice (I use milk)

Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 15x10x1 inch baking pan (I used parchment paper instead).

In a large bowl, beat butter on high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; beat until combined. Beat in eggs, bananas, sour cream, and vanilla.

Stir in flour, then pecans. Pour batter into prepared pan, making sure to spread it evenly.

Bake for 25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely.

For the icing, mix the milk and vanilla into the powdered sugar. Add more milk as necessary to achieve a drizzle-worthy consistency.

Once the bars have cooled, drizzle the icing on top. I like to spread it evenly across the bars so each bite has a nice little crispy sugary goodness on top.

No comments: