Friday, July 4, 2008

Not Stuffed Strawberries

So yeah... just because a recipe says something is delicious, doesn't mean it IS delicious.. except of course when MY recipe says that.. then it's true.. But anyhoo, I tried this interesting recipe for Ricotta and Mint Stuffed Strawberries. It seemed interesting, possibly tasty. But as I was mixing up the mint and ricotta, I started to have doubts. Forgetting the somewhat eerie texture of ricotta, it seemed so bland. Yes, strawberries are sweet, but they deserve a good counterpart! So I added a little sugar, still unsure... So I cored one strawberry, filled it with the mint ricotta and gave it to hubby. He was not a fan. I ate the other half and was not fan.

Now I have 2 pounds of strawberries. What should I do with them? I sliced up a couple and blended them together with some lemonade and ice to make a nice slushy drink, so now I only have 1.85 pounds of strawberries left.

3 comments:

Lyfling said...

Feed them to me!

Or make that tasty looking pie recipe you found . . .

Yummmm . . .

Leta said...

Don't sugarize the ricotta - that's the point! The strawberries are sweet enough, and the ricotta just provides creamy flavor and interesting texture to counterpoint the berry!


Um.

Yeah, sorry. Maybe substitute ricotta with cream cheese and you'll have a winner. And then you can add sugar to the cream cheese ... because you can't go wrong with sugary cream cheese.

Mama Sarah said...

perhaps the ricotta i got was really low grade.. i tried it first without sweetening it and it was abysmal.. it really detracted from the goodness of the strawberry instead of complementing it. i considered the cream cheese alternative, which amusingly, i think wouldn't need to be sweetened because of cream cheese's own flavor.. ah.. to each her own.