Monday, July 7, 2008

Strawberry Bread

So the ricotta-mint strawberry failure left me with a bunch of strawberries, so I decided to try out this strawberry bread over at The Knead for Bread. I've never baked with strawberries before, so I was quite curious.


Okay. Note to self. I need new dishes.


Moving on.. I thought this bread was decent; it isn't my favorite or least favorite of the things I've made. The strawberries were a bit mushy. The icing didn't turn out at all like the picture, but that might be due to the fact that I was tired and only let it sit in the freezer for 1 hour..

Strawberry Bread:
(makes 2 loaves)
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 cup mascarpone
  • 1 1/2 cup sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 cup milk
  • 5 cups flour
  • 4 tsp baking powder
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 4 cups sliced fresh strawberries
icing
  • 3/4 cup heavy cream
  • 2 oz white chocolate (Lindt is a good choice)
  • 2 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into pieces

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease 2 loaf pans.

In a super large bowl, cream together the butter and mascarpone. Beat in the sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Mix in vanilla, condensed milk, and milk.

In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.

Slowly mix dry ingredients into the wet ones, just until incorporated. Stir in strawberries.

Pour into prepared loaf pans. Bake for 60-65 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes in the pans, then remove to cooling rack.


Mmm pretty.

For the icing, bring the cream and butter to a simmer over medium heat. Break up the chocolate in a bowl, then pour the hot liquid over it, stirring to melt the chocolate bits. Cover and place in the freezer until cold, about 2 hours. I think the proper direction should be chill in the freezer until THICKENED because it can be cold and runny. Anyhoo, once your loaves are cool, spread (or drizzle) the icing over the loafs. Refrigerate for 1/2 hour. (I didn't bother with that).

No comments: