Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Bacon and Broccoli Quiche

So for a while, I've been playing around with the idea of making a quiche. Since hubby loves eggs, I thought it'd be perfect for him. Today at work, I talked to Amanda whose mom is queen of quiches and got the general low down on making it. Amanda favors broccoli and bacon, and what's good enough for Amanda is good enough for me! After looking through a cookbook at home to get a more fixed idea, I went to it.

My results were so-so. I should have used more salt, and my proportions were generally off. In theory though, quiche is great. I just have to fiddle with it a bit more.


Bacon and Broccoli Quiche:
all measurements are approximations
  • 6 eggs
  • 1 cup heavy cream (you should have equal parts eggs and cream)
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 cup cheese
  • 2 heads broccoli, cut into very small bits
  • 4 strips bacon, cooked til crisp and then crumbled
  • 1 pie crust

Preheat oven to 450F. Place pie crust in pie pan, then cover with a double layer of foil. Make sure you fit the foil tightly against the crust. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake another 4 minutes.

While the pie crust bakes, beat the eggs and cream together. Make sure they are very well combined. Season with salt and pepper, maybe 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. I also added garlic powder; use whichever spices and seasonings you prefer.

Once your crust is finished, put the broccoli and bacon into the pie crust. Sprinkle the cheese on top, almost covering up the veggies. Slowly pour the eggs over the top.

Lower the oven temperature to 325F. Bake the quiche for 45ish minutes.



Like I said, this recipe should be fiddled with. Use it as a rough guide if you wish to use it. Better than that, leave me tips on making a fabulous quiche!

Farmers market tomorrow!

1 comment:

Lyfling said...

That's it. I'm making you a quiche.