Friday, July 4, 2008

Deviled Eggs


I grew up in a family that absolutely loved deviled eggs, but oddly we only made them for holidays and big family get togethers. I'm not sure why since they're so easy to make. You need a few ingredients that I'm sure most people have in their fridges and just a little bit of time.

Deviled Eggs:
(all measurements are approximate)
  • eggs, depending on how many you want to make. I used 6. I would say plan an egg or two per person, unless you've got my husband, brother-in-law, or father in the room. Then, you need a dozen.
  • 1 tbsp mayo
  • 2 tsp mustard
  • 2 tsp sweet pickle relish
  • salt and pepper to taste
Boil the eggs, which usually takes 10 minutes. A good way to know if an egg is fully boiled is to take it and try to spin it on it's side on the counter-top. If it's undercooked, it'll roll all over the place; if it's cooked, it'll spin nicely.

Once the eggs have been boiled, cooled, and shelled, cut them in half, lengthwise. Obvious, I know. Remove the yolks; usually you can do this by gently squeezing the sides until the yolk pops out.

Place all the yolks in a medium bowl and break them up with a fork. Add in your mayo, mustard, relish, salt, and pepper. I never actually measure out my stuff; I do it by texture and taste. The yolk mixture should be thick and creamy. Add tiny bits more of each ingredient to get the taste the way you like it.

Now, you can just spoon a little bit of the yolk mix back into each egg half, or you can fancy and pip it in. Honestly, piped deviled eggs scare me. I like them to look a bit messy; it makes them look real and edible.

Some people like to sprinkle paprika on the eggs. I never do. This time, I sprinkled a bit of chives on top, which is a nice little complement. Some people do bacon bites. Garnish as you please!



Nom nom nom nom.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nom nom nom nom indeed! I <3 Deviled Eggs. And, oddly enough, my family is the same as yours. We never make them, but we always really love them when we do. Odd.