Friday, July 11, 2008

Pot Roast

I'm a craving-empath. When someone craves something, it usually sounds pretty good to me. Case in point: Monday, Amanda mentioned craving pot roast and suddenly I took longed for it. Yummy pot-roasty goodness. Since I wasn't working Wednesday, I decided to make one in the slow cooker (the only way I know how!). And as you know, I picked up some new potatoes and carrots at the farmers market. It's the perfect meal!


Slow Cooker Pot Roast:
beef chuck roast - everytime I'm looking at the meet trying to figure out what to get, I spaz a little and call my mom. I'm incapable of remembering what I'm supposed to buy. If you're lucky, it'll say on the label (or you can ask the butcher) what cut is best.
flour
garlic powder
pepper
1 can french onion soup
1 onion, cut into quarters then peeled apart
potatoes
carrots

Season the roast with the garlic powder and pepper, then coat each side with flour. I do this by sprinkling powder on a plate and just kind of rolling the roast around. Heat a bit of oil in a pan and brown each side of the roast. Place it in a crock pot. Pour the french onion soup into it and add a bit of water, depending on how strong you want the onion taste.

Now, you can cook a roast on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-6. I suggest the longer cook, but this time I did the high heat. After about 2 hours, I added my potatoes, placing them around the roast. Then I layered the onions and carrots on top. When you add the veggies depends on your cooking method, veggies, etc. I'm not helpful, I know.

The best roast I ever made required a bit more prep. I made it when hubby finally finished with the Marine Corps and moved into our apartment for good. I diced some bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Using a sharp knife, I cut slits into the roast every couple of inches then inserted the veggie mixture down into the slit. SUPER tasty.

2 comments:

Lyfling said...

It's so beautiful . . . and I'm still craving pot roast.

*cries*

Guess I'll just have to find some sort of vegetarian version to tide me over . . .

Vegetarian pot roast is possibly one of the most depressing things I can think of . . .

Leta said...

Ooh, ooh, please make me roast! Stew of any kind is always a beautiful, wonderful thing.